Monday, October 15, 2007

Reflections on Judges



Why are you downcast O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet Praise Him, my Saviour and my God. (Psalm 42:11)

This verse was sent to me by a friend this morning (out of the blue), obviously sovereignly directed by God. Through a series of difficult events that happened in the past week, I have been feeling quite down and discouraged. I am so grateful to God for speaking to me through this verse...and yes, I will hope in Him!

This morning as I read Jeremiah 26-27, I was left astounded, dumfounded and rebuked by God. You see, Jeremiah was instructed to prophesy to the Israelites, to warn them of pending judgement because of their sins. However, the amazing thing is, as part of their repentance and obedience, the Isarelites were instructed to subject themselves to the King of Babylon!

"..I will hand all your countries over to my servant Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon. I will make even the wild animals subject to Him. All nations will serve im and his son and his grandson until the time for his land comes; then many nations and many kings will subjugate him" (27: 6-7) However, if Israel would not submit to the authority and dominion of Babylon, God would punish them with .."sword, famine and plague"...until they are destroyed by His hand.

The God who loved Israel with an everlasting love and who chose them as His people, now demands and commands that they live under the tyranny of Babylon; as part of his punishment and deliverance.

My mind boggles and yes, I feel rebuked, because many times I presume that God would act in a certain way. But, He is above our ways and thoughts and does not act in ways that we predict or assume. Sometimes his best for us require humble submission to circumstances that seem contrary to His infinite love...after all, being a just and righteous God, it is right that He punishes and rebukes us when we sin.

I guess, I'm beginning to understand bit by bit, the awesome, mystifying, ways of God. That His purposes for us most definitely require suffering, pain, rejection, humility, loneliness, heartahces.....things and circumstances that we would not wish for ourselves or others; but are deemed good for the sake of being refined, shaped and transformed for His glory.

Surely, one would think that being subject to a wicked nation is the furthest thing a loving Father would want for His children, but all things work for the good of those who love God, yes...even incomprehensible things that seem to speak contrary of His love and commitment to us.

We need to trust God more and not depend on our own understanding, and acknowlege our utter dependance on Him in all humility and obedience...and He will make our paths straight!

No comments: